Blossoms in the Sun

under the sun, it's all good

Friday, April 07, 2006

It's YOGA Time!


Today I attended my first yoga class!

A bit of history for those of you who don't know me well. I used to be a lot thinner, and I used to dance. Tap, ballet, jazz, modern, Mexican folkloric. I've even taken classes in other cultural dancing: belly dancing, bharata natyam (a national dance of India), Brazilian. If it was dance, I was into it. I very nearly graduated with a degree in Theatre Arts- Dance Option, but at the last minute (18 units to be exact) I decided to change my major.

I've always loved the class environment: group setting, hands-on instruction, one-on-one clarification from instructors. I've always done well in that atmosphere.

Since I finished college a few years ago (2000), I developed an interest in Yoga. It was similar to dance in certain ways, yet didn't have the dance mentality that ultimately led to my leaving the program.

But, in the almost six years that I've been out of school, I never took a class.

Over the years I've purchased a yoga video or two, but it never felt quite right. I never knew if I was doing things correctly, and I never had an instructor to help me out.

Today I finally decided to take a class. I've known about the class offering for quite some time, but as a shy person, it took me a while to summons up the courage to make the trek over. But I did it. I finally did it. And I liked it! I go back tomorrow morning at 9 am.

That is, if my body is still moving tomorrow (^ ^)

b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home