Blossoms in the Sun

under the sun, it's all good

Monday, August 14, 2006

Toro Nagashi


This past Saturday I had the opportunity to attend a Toro Nagashi ceremony. Toro Nagashi is a Japanese ceremony in which paper lanterns are floated down a river. It's done as the closing of the Obon festival in Japanese culture as a remembrance of ancestors and loved ones who have passed away. (Think Karate Kid Part II when Mr. Miyagi's father died).

It was really cool. I bought a lantern for my Uncle Michael who died back in February. They called us up one by one, a docent lit my lantern, and I walked to the dock that was built for this event. At the end of the dock was a long pillow for kneeling so we could place the latern in the water. Then another docent with a long stick-thing, launched the lantern away from the dock.

I have pictures and I will post them, but I warn you, they suck. I have a very casual digital camera so it's doesn't have all the cool bells and whistles. My pictures are blurry, because I'm not a photographer. I should add it to my list of things to do.




Vet's Toro Nagashi Flickr photos

Yvette Z.
The Light Collector

b

1 Comments:

  • At 8/15/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A quote for you and me.

    "There are two ways to meet difficulties; You alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to meet them".

    You know what I mean. Since this is one of the only ways we can communicate now unless its for lunch.... I forgot to ask you about the "Tora Nagashi" the other day at lunch. Remind me next time.
    Talk to you later, Charlotte.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home