Blossoms in the Sun

under the sun, it's all good

Monday, July 03, 2006

Something I Feel Like Saying


I like Bossa nova.

Bossa nova is a style of Brazilian music first introduced in the 1950's. It's a fusion of jazz and samba. It's very relaxed, and goes great with wine and cheese (but only when you're grown up). The lyrics are in Portuguese, meaning I don't understand a single word they are saying, but sound very nice none the less.


Some artists I really like are Nicola Conte, Milton Nascimento, Antonio Carlos Jobim, and everyone whose last name is Gilberto: Joao, Astrud, Bebel. I like Stan Getz too, but technically he's not Brazilian.


I'd like to learn Portuguese so I can sing along, but it's not really worth it when I don't have anyone to conversate with on a regular basis. Just ask me to speak to you in French or Mandarin. If you don't use it, you lose it. Oh, and just for the record, I'm interested in learning Brazilian Portuguese instead of European Portuguese.


So, if any of the 4 of you who read my blog know anyone who speaks Brazilian Portuguese, hook me up!!


Yvette Z.
The Language Collector

b

2 Comments:

  • At 7/05/2006, Blogger 8675309 said…

    I took a Brazilian dance class once. It was great fun! Until I looked in the mirror....

     
  • At 7/10/2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Don't they have classes at CSUF? I know they have 3 or 4 Portuguese classes at CSUC, not that I ever took one. I had trouble enough getting to my under division classes as it was. Thank goodness MIS was interesting or I'd still be working at Costco.

    My parents and grandparents speak Portuguese but I never took the initiative to learn. If you lived up in the bay area, I'd hook you up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home