Blossoms in the Sun

under the sun, it's all good

Thursday, April 19, 2007

My 100th Post

*****
Relay For Life Info

Well, according to my Blogger Dashboard it is, so I guess it must be.

The pressure is on. I want this post to be meaningful, because I am sentimental. I want to look back on this entry and think, wow. If you, my readers, happen to like it too, that would be good also.

Yesterday I sat at my computer, thinking of subjects to write about. I wanted to be funny, but I am not intentionally funny. I wanted to be profound, but I am not philisophical. I wanted this to be more than a list. I wanted this to be more than me talking about cancer. Or cycling. Or the color pink.

So what, exactly did I do? I did one of the things that I knew how to do very well. I procrastinated.

I went to my friend Jenny's website. Both of them. I went to my friend Tony's website. I went to my friend Steve's website. I went to my friend Amy's website. I stayed a little bit, rereading some posts that I had read before, and being curious and browsing through the comments. Usually I don't, because the conversations that are there go beyond my understanding. It was there that I found a link to an interesting article from The Washington Post.

In a lame nutshell: Back in January The Washington post did an experiment. They asked Joshua Bell- really cute, totally awesome violin dude (he's the violinist on The Red Violin soundtrack)- to be like a street performer and play for a bit, just to see what would happen. He played, incognito, outside a Washington D.C. metro station during the morning rush for almost 45 minutes. He was mostly ignored and his open violin case only accumulated $32.17.

Questions were asked: Do you have time for beauty? What about the ability to appreciate life? If we are so busy with our lives, what else are we missing?

Questions like that make me pause and reflect, and yesterday I did. I wondered if I would have stopped to hear him play had I been there. I hoped, and I still hope, that I would have. I believe that I am a person who does take time for beauty. I believe I appreciate life. I admit I get busy with life, we all do. I just hope that it's "not much" that I am missing when I do get too busy, and that I realize quickly when it's happening.

I have gone to Yosemite and looked at majestic mountains. I have sat on the beach in Monterey and watched the waves crash on the rocks, sat still and watch the sun set in beautiful shades of pink. I have pulled off the road while driving, just to watch a full moon rise from behind the mountains. I have riden my bike along the American River, blinded by the green in the spring. I have been inspired by music, dance and art, and moved to tears by love.

I hope this is part of the beauty. I hope this is part of the appreciating life.

So as I sat here at my computer and thought all these thoughts, did I start pouring my heart out through my fingers and on to my keyboard?

No.

I did one of the things I knew how to do well. I procrastinated.

I turned off my computer and changed into some workout clothes. I went into the garage and put in some time on the trainer. I thought happy thoughts while spinning and made a mental packing list for my upcoming trip to Las Vegas. I'll blog tomorrow.

Happy 100 (^ ^)

~Vet

I've never posted anything from youtube to my blog before, so I'm not sure this is even going to work. But if it does work, check it out. It's supposed to be a condensed version of Joshua Bell's performance. At the article link, there is another link to an audio of the entire performance. I had an opportunity to listen to it. Very nice.



1 Comments:

  • At 4/20/2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    The violin sounded nice in the video and $30+ in 45 minutes means one could possibly work 2 hours during the morning rush and 2 more during the even rush and make more money than I do! I never should have stopped playing the piano but then again, how would I lug that into the transit station?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home